Sunday, February 10, 2008

Endings...

When I was a kid in math class, I remember always being fascinated by the dot with a line... And how it went on forever. Then you had the dot with a line that ended at the other dot, and how depressing that was. I remember thinking about the forever of that line, that it went off the board, through the wall, and kept going on forever, this imaginary line traveling through the air, over the water, and through space, and I would just sit there and think about how cool infiniti was.

I say this because i was friends with Miles Davis on a long car ride tonight, which always means my thoughts are going a thousand mile an hour. While I won't go into the details of why, here is the thought for the night boys and girls....

Not knowing when that ending comes makes for a pretty amazing life experience. That second "dot", knowing when it ends, really is depressing.

Think about the person who wakes up one morning, has coffee, goes about their day, and approx 11pm, hits the powerball. Bam. everything changes. Unbeknownst to that person, but that day changed their life. It was any other normal day, but THAT day, was their first dot.

Think about the person who goes in for his yearly physical, only to be told he has cancer and 6 months left to be alive. Bam. Everything changes. That is their dot.

While obviously none of those have happened to me, you do see them in eveyday life. And the not knowing when things end, for the great, and the unspeakable, makes life remarkable.

You start your day with a smile, and you have a fight with your significant other, maybe even having to say goodbye. You do/say something that you can never take back. You wake up to a sunrise over looking Sydney Harbor, or Fenwick Island.

Every day has that infinite line, and no matter how bad, or how life changing it is, not knowing makes every day a life worth living. And I wouldn't have it any other way.


I'll spare the whole, "I'm back" for all 2 or 3 of you that read this. But throughout my life I've written to help me through trying times. I've thought since about the end of last summer this would be a big year for me, on a lot of fronts. Looks like I'm right. So this should be updated fairly frequently if you'd like to comment and see the progression and awareness of self. We'll learn together....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, you must have had some day to result in a car ride full of deep thoughts like that. Nice metaphor with the "connect the dots" and all.

Joey G. said...

Wow. And I am the one in land of Buddha!

Hope all you endings are 'happy'.

Ssyl said...

When you gonna write again??