Thursday, October 23, 2008

Breeders Cup Friday - Ladies Edition!!!



I won't get into the new format of spreading it over 2 days, the surface, etc. You can read about that anywhere, you want to make straight cash homey! Lets get right into the Friday card, and we'll do Saturdays tomorrow....

Filly & Mare Sprint

Tough race to start Breeders Cup. Only 4 out of the 14 I can consider a throw out, so I won't even bold their names, but Miraculous Miss, Jazzy, Tizzy's Tune, and La Tee aren't going to see a nickel of my money thrown their way. So lets jump into the star and favorite of the race, Indian Blessing , she's trying to become the first horse to win 2 different BC races, and is coming into the race in top form. My big question on her is if she likes the surface, workouts haven't been anything special, but based on talent alone, it's impossible not to play her in the top 3. Zaftig is the ultimate question mark going into this race, she absolutely ran away from the favorite last time out, but that was all the way back in June, and has gone unraced since. I'd be absolutely sick if she wins this race by 4 lengths (very possible) and I didn't play her due to the layoff, the bullet she fired goign around SA only helps solidify my belief, at 8-1, she's a must play. To round out my ex's and tri's... there are a lot of horses who I can make very strong angles for... starting with Magnificience, I can't get over her first 2 races, incredible numbers and both over this track. Hate the rail, but I think she stalks and puts up a big race here. It's tough not to like a horse with 3 G1 victories this year, and if it's a hot pace I see Intangaroo coming like a freight train down the lane to be a major player. Dearest Trickski has won 7 of 8 races and is perfect over Santa Anita, all while getting 15-1, and Ventura has some extremely consistent Beyer's. Indyanne figures to be the one everyone is going to have to catch, and she could wire the field. I'm going to box 4 horses in here to try and cover my bases...

1. Zaftig 2. Indian Blessing 3. Magnificience 4. Dearest Trickski

Juvi Filly Turf

Crap shoot of a race. Almost impossible to tel lthis erly in their careers, so I checked with some people who I trust in regards to breeding, and it looks as though Consequence was bred to win this race... "her mama, Educated Risk was a multiple G1 winner and finished 2nd in the 1992 BC Juvenile Fillies. Educated Risk is also a 1/2 sister to 1995 BC Distaff winner (and Hall of Famer) Inside Information. Consequence’s 3rd dam Clear Ceiling also produced G1 1000 Guineas winner Quick as Lightning, and the G1-placed turfster Infinite. " Works for me. Saucey Evening also has the pedigree, so she's in. And Sugar Mom is the only horse in this field that sports back to back 80+ BSF in her last 2, tough to ignore that.

1. Consequence 2. Sugar Mom 3. Saucey Evening 4. Maram

Juvi Filly

I'm excited to watch this race, as we may have a superstar in the making, approiately named Stardom Bound. Look at her race in the Oak Leaf http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1zp2UrlcKU. Wow. Not much else really needs to be said. Deserving favorite for certain, but with 2 yo's, ya just never know...so with that, I'm at least going to try and find some other horses who may have a chance, albeit a small one. Van Lear Rose has improved every race, and if the pattern continues tomorrow, should hit the board at long odds. Doremifasollatido, beside the awesome name, has the speed figures to be a factor in the outcome.

1. Stardom Bound 2. Doremefasollatido 3. Van Lear Rose 4. CS Silk

Filly & Mare Turf

Fascinating race. Arguably the best on the card on either day. Talent is in abundence in this race. Where to begin.. The favorite, Wait A While, the Pletcher/Velazquez entry has never lost on the SA dirt, going 3-3 and coming off a win here 3 weeks ago in the G1 Yellow Ribbon. But in something almost unpresedented, 5, count um 5 horses are coming off G1 wins! Amazing. Forever Together is coming off an impressive win at Kee, adn 2 back beat Dynaforce, who just won a G1 at Belmont 3 weeks back. Folk Opera is a horse you have to respect just becasue of the owner, and absolutely wired the field at this same distance in the G1 Taylor. Halfway to Heaven has only really lost to superhorses Zarkava and Goldikova, Pure Clan is a head bob away from being undefeated on turf. But the horse I think everyone is sleeping on, is Mauralakana. If you cross out her last race on a soggy day at Belmont, you're looking at the horse who was at the top of every Filly Turf list in the world. While I'm not crazy about Desormeaux, this horse should have plently lef to cross the wire first. Truly impressive line-up in this one, and the race I'm most eager to see how it unfolds. My take? Folk Opera takes the lead and is chased down in the final furlong by Mauralakana, with Pure Clan right behind...

1. Mauralakana 2. Folk Opera 3. Pure Clan 4. Forever Together

Distaff

The big one. Where everyone who hasn't had the privledge, gets to see Zenyatta. She really has no equal, think LeBron when he was in high school, or the kid who had a full beard and biceps when you were playing little league. She is bigger, she is faster, and she has the most talent in this, or any other field you put her in. I honestly think on Poly she could take Curlin down tomorrow. Not dirt mind you, but Zenyatta loves, let me say again, LOVES the poly. I'm not going to bore you with the other deatils, I just hope a bunch of people overthink this race and I somehow get her at even money. But who else has a chance of at least 2nd? Put me down on Hystericalady. She'll be the early speed, and will force everyone to come catch her. She's a proven commodity, and you get her at a long price. While everyone is raving about Cocoa Beach, and her freakish workout, I think this is the horse people go wild about only to see her come a disappointing 4th. Looking good working out, and beating Zenyatta are 2 completly different animals. I'd rather side with the other Godolphin entry, Music Note. Only loss this year was by a head to Proud Spell after making a move 4 wide, thats respectable. She should also have a perfect stalking trip around the track behind Hystericalady. We have to also give mention to the defending champ, Ginger Punch, who won this race in the slop at Monmouth last year, but I think she hands over her crown to a VERY deseerving Zenyatta.

1. Zenyatta 2. Hystericalady 3. Music Note 4. Cocoa beach

enjoy the races! I'll post Saturdays picks tonight/tomorrow....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is solved.