Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Bowl Previews...


While being the only sport to take a month and a half break before declaring a national champion, among other complete monstroties, here are some shananigans to tide you over until the REAL playoffs begin, and we can all rejoice in the Chargers winning the Super Bowl...


Disclaimer: Feel free to shell out friendly wagers (non money of course) at your own peril.


to borrow the mjd criteria....


The Mike Tysons:


Oklahoma (-7) over Boise State: Great story being undefeated and all, even play your games on blue turf. Welcome to the land of real D-1 football. With Peterson coming back, in his swann song as a Sooner, compared with OU's defense showing up, 2 td game minimum.


Ohio St (-8) over Florida: Let me let you in on a little secret.... The Gators aren't that great. I'd have taken this line up to 13, as again, I don't see it staying within 2 td's. Oklahoma just gets top biling since I'm only giving 7, instead of 8. But I don't see either being watchable after the 3rd quarter.


Tennessee (-4) over Penn St: The Lions got slaughtered by ND, a team with a decent front 7 and an above average passing attack, Tennessee may be a mirror image of that. Combined that PSU's qb is getting death threats, and no one really scares me for the Lions, well I smell a blowout.


Michigan (+1) over USC: tell me why I'm going to take Booty over an angry Wolverine team? It's obvious they won't be able to run against UM, and yes it's essentially a road game for Michigan, and yes, Jarret is freakishly good, but um, the Wolverines don't suck. USC has lost it's last 2 in the Rose bowl, and UCLA game them a blue print to shut down USC's offense. Oh yeah, Michigan can kinda score some points when they want to as well. Only reason UM isn't a TD favorite is becasue of the location. I'm guessing a LOT of people freezing their asses off will welcome a little vaca to southern Cali for an extended weekend. Michigan by 10.


The Soda Popinski's...


Virgina Tech (-2) over Georgia: Beamer Ball was a covering MACHINE to end the year, covering their last 6 games, I see them finishing the season strong preparing for a national championship run next year, Georgia is young, and I see that hurting them in preperation for this game. V Tech thrives off of turnovers, I see them getting 3 of um here. Special parlay possib.... Hokies last 5 all went under, as well as Georgia's last 3 of 4. Considering I don't see either offense expoloing, even though the line has moved 2 points, 38.5 may still be a little high.


Auburn (-2) over Nebraska: The Huskers aren't quite ready for Auburn. They have 4 losses in a fiarly weak Big 12 North, while Auburn has some pretty big wins under their belt. The SEC is a totally different animal than what the Huskers are used to. Auburn is 10-2 ATS this year to boot, I've always been fans of lines where I like a team and don't have to give more than a fg, only thing to consider, much like V Tech, both have a chance to wallow in mediocrity, hence the low line. It's also why they are Soda Popinski's and not Mike Tysons.


Texas (-9) over Iowa: Only reason they aren't a Tyson? Texas is known for collapsing in bowl games (that Vince Young wasn't in). Mack Brown sucks. Other than that... EVERYTHING, i mean everything points the Horns way... Iowa has lost 5 of 6, 0-6 ATS, and have given up a whopping 186 on the ground.


The Don Flamenco's


South Carolina (-5.5) over Houston: Again, I'm putting my eggs in the SEC basket, as the Cocks (ok, maybe I just wanted to write cocks) have finally found their passing attack. The Cougars (no, not the hot mom's) haven't seen the talent and speed that Spurrier will bring. SC has played well to close the season, and I like them here.



I'll look deeper into everything else, maybe even find some Glass Joe's for you all to knock out later on. I always pick out the easy favorites first, then try to find underdogs later on. Since I normally throw around my Christmas money on underdogs, I'll be sure to find a couple.


Good luck out there...

No comments: